How Long Do Garbage Disposals Last?
Appliances don’t last forever and the same goes for your garbage disposal, but it’s always nice to know when you should start saving for a new one. In general, your garbage disposal can last 10+ years if maintained and used properly. In this blog post, we’ll talk about how to maintain your garbage disposal, and the signs you may need a new one.
How to Maintain Your Garbage Disposal
Your garbage disposal is a small yet very powerful tool in the kitchen used to break down food scraps and help prevent plumbing clogs. However, by putting too much of the wrong materials down your drain, your garbage disposal could get clogged or break down faster. Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to increase the life of your garbage disposal.
- Use cold water during and after every use. Hot water can cause fat to stick to the blades and the inside of your plumbing walls
- About once a month, dump ice cubes and allow the garbage disposal to crush them up
- Use a drain snake about every 2 years to help prevent clogs and keep your drain working properly
- Grind up lemon and orange peel occasionally to help eliminate odors and bacteria
- Don’t run fibrous materials down your garbage disposal including celery and asparagus
- Don’t run bones, pasta, fats, grease, and coffee grounds down your garbage disposal
- Don’t put paper, trash, or eggshells down your garbage disposal
A good rule of thumb is to only put food down your garbage disposal to keep it working properly.
How do I Know if My Garbage Disposal Needs to be Replaced?
Below are some distinct signs you may need a new garbage disposal.
- Dull blades
- Excessive clogs
- Unusual sounds
- Water leaks
- Foul odors
- Frequent resets
- No power
- You’re replacing your sink
Is it time for a new garbage disposal? We at Clog Pro install garbage disposals in the Portland/Vancouver metropolitan area!
Full-Service Garbage Disposal Services
Whether your garbage disposal needs a simple repair or a full replacement, we’re here to help. We repair, install, and replace garbage disposals for homeowners and businesses. You shouldn’t have to deal with a malfunctioning garbage disposal, instead, contact us today for upfront pricing and guaranteed results!
How Long Do Garbage Disposals Last? IN VANCOUVER WA AND PORTLAND OR
SERVING CLIENTS IN THE GREATER VANCOUVER WA AND PORTLAND OR AREAS: